The USC SHIELD Executive Program in Global Space and Deterrence is a joint program with the University of Southern California’s Price School of Public Policy and Viterbi School of Engineering. Its creation benefited from an engagement with the Missile Defense Advocacy Alliance (MDAA). This 8-month program sets out to educate aspiring senior leaders from the military, government, and innovation communities about the intersection of public policy and engineering, which are too often separate within the complex and growing field of defense security.
- Space - The domains that demand new engineering and policy innovations, physical and cyber, and their integration with Land, Sea, and Air.
- History - Past, present, and future, the lens through which we evaluate and formulate new Policies.
- Industry - The engine that translates academic work into reality.
- Engineering - The research, technology, and planning that organizes our vision.
- Leadership - The prime mover across all disciplines.
- Deterrence - Our goal in all our endeavors.
This executive education program is designed for upwardly mobile professionals and leaders of their field. Program participants will take advantage of the flexibility and interactivity offered by engaging in a hybrid program model, with in-person and online engagement throughout the program. Upon successful completion of the program, participants receive a University of Southern California Continuing Education Certificate.
Program Dates: September 15, 2022- April 29, 2023; 18 Program Days
Delivery Method: Online Interactive & In-Person Residency
The Executive Program in Global Space and Defense will be delivered as a hybrid course, with students attending lectures online with interactivity or on-campus. Please see the course schedule to confirm the delivery method for each week of the program.
Online Interactive: Course delivery is completely online and real-time, enabling interaction with the instructor and fellow participants. Participants have the flexibility of completing the course from a distance utilizing USC Viterbi's Distance Education Network (DEN) technology. Students are required to be online for the entirety of each day's session.
Overview of online (interactive):
- Virtually participate in the course live - with the ability to either ask questions or chat questions to the entire class.
- WebEx technologies provide the option to call into the class and view the entire lecture/materials on a personal computer, or to participate on a computer without having to utilize a phone line.
- Ability to logon and view archived course information. This includes course documents and streaming video of the lectures.
Residency (USC Campus and Washington D.C.): Three residency sessions will be held in state-of-the-art facilities on the University of Southern California campus, located in downtown Los Angeles. One residency session will be held at the USC Washington D.C. campus.
The in-person component of this program offers participants the opportunity to connect and collaborate with other senior military and government officials. Students will join renowned industry experts, and USC Price & Viterbi faculty to bridge the gap between theoretical learning and real-life experience.
Overview of residency activities:
- Lunchtime forums with visiting industry experts.
- Networking event(s.)
- Discussions with leading faculty researchers in their respected fields.
- Site visits.
USC Los Angeles Residency Location:
The Vineyard Room of the Davidson Continuing Education Center - MAP
3409 S. Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90089
The Vineyard Patio - MAP
3409 S. Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90089
USC Washington D.C. Residency Location:
USC Washington D.C. Office - MAP
Washington, D.C. 20004
Lodging Information (Los Angeles): https://viterbiexeced.usc.edu/visiting/accommodations/
Lodging Information (Washington DC): https://viterbiexeced.usc.edu/washington-d-c-accommodations/
COVID-19 Protocols for On-Campus Residency
USC Faculty Lecturers
Price School of Public Policy:
Frank V. Zerunyan (firstname.lastname@example.org); Professor of the Practice of Governance and Director of Executive Education Programs
Viterbi School of Engineering:
Candace House Teixeira (email@example.com); Associate Dean of Corporate Engagement and Programs
Please contact the following individuals for questions about logistics:
For questions about on-campus residency:
Ashley Coelho (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For questions about registration, payments, online-interactive delivery or the Washington, D.C. Residency:
Karen Escobar (email@example.com)
Published on July 7th, 2022
Last updated on March 21st, 2023