Foundations of Decision Analysis
This two-and-a-half-day course will present the basic foundations of decision making under uncertainty. The course will illustrate the benefits of using a sound decision making system built on the axioms of rational thought and the good practices that may induce quality decisions in enterprises. The course will also discuss cognitive and motivational biases in decision making; the elements of decision quality; the difference between direct and indirect values, framing a decision, and the notion of an enterprise decision culture.
What you will gain:
- Develop the skills necessary for quality decision making in the face of uncertainty
- Understand fundamental distinctions in decision making including decisions vs outcomes, the frame of a decision, and elements of its quality
- Learn common decision traps and the cognitive and motivational biases in decision making
- Determine the implications of having an enterprise decision culture
Who should attend:
Mid to senior-level management and executives interested in learning about good decision making practices.
Professor Ali E. Abbas is director of the Center for Interdisciplinary Decisions & Ethics (DECIDE). He is also professor of industrial and systems engineering and public policy at the University of Southern California. Dr. Abbas earned his Ph.D. in management science and engineering from Stanford University with a minor in electrical engineering. The recipient of multiple awards from the National Science Foundation for his work, Dr. Abbas’ research focuses on decision analysis, risk analysis, multi-attribute utility theory, and data-based decision making. He is widely published in books, journals, and conference publications, and has shared his expertise through television appearances, TEDx and other invited talks.
Continuing Education Units
USC Viterbi School of Engineering Certificate of Participation is awarded to all participants upon successful completion of course.
Why Consider a Custom Course for Your Organization?
Custom courses provide the opportunity to create an educational program that meets the specific needs of your organization. The following are a few reasons why our clients have chosen USC Viterbi School of Engineering as their program provider:
- Interest in connecting with USC experts for real organizational issues
- Engineering training and executive education opportunities in a condensed period of time
- Educational opportunities at multiple company sites through on-site training and/or distance offerings to several sites simultaneously
- Preference for providing Continuing Education Units (CEUs) rather than degree-oriented academic units
- Overall flexibility in timing, delivery and pricing
If you are interested in learning more, please contact us by email or at 213-740-4488
Want to Learn More?
Interested in providing a customized offering of this course to your organization?Learn More
June 02, 2018 to June 09, 2018
June 04, 2018 to December 08, 2018
June 05, 2018 to June 07, 2018
June 26, 2018 to June 28, 2018
October 15, 2018 to December 14, 2018