Value-Focused Thinking is a two-and-a-half-day course that will present the basic foundations of value-focused decision making and the evaluation of decisions involving multiple objectives. Value-focused decision making includes concepts and procedures to identify and address the critical softer aspects of making sound important decisions. These include structuring the decision to be addressed by identifying the full range of relevant objectives and creating innovative alternatives. The technique of value-focused brainstorming is illustrated for decisions involving a team. How to be proactive by creating and acting on decision opportunities to avoid potential future decision problems is included. The concepts of value models and value tradeoffs to evaluate alternatives with multiple objectives are discussed and illustrated.
What you will gain:
- Enhance their skills for structuring complex decisions
- Learn and gain experience with techniques to identify and organize objectives, create innovative alternatives, and define decision opportunities
- Learn how to logically and practically evaluate alternatives with multiple objectives
- Understand the use and usefulness of the above to help make better business decisions
Who should attend:
The course is designed for business executives and mid-to-senior level management looking to improve their decision making skills and enhance their organization’s competitive advantage and ethical values.
Professor Ralph L. Keeney is a professor emeritus in the Viterbi School of Engineering at USC and in the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University. He received his Ph.D. from MIT in operations research. He is the author of numerous articles and several books, three which are directly relevant to this course: Value-Focused Thinking, Decisions with Multiple Objectives with H. Raiffa, and Smart Choices, with J. S. Hammond and H. Raiffa. Dr. Keeney was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1995 and received an honorary doctorate in engineering from the University of Waterloo (Canada) in 2014.
Continuing Education Units
USC Viterbi School of Engineering Certificate of Participation is awarded to all participants upon successful completion of course.
Why Consider a Custom Course for Your Organization?
Custom courses provide the opportunity to create an educational program that meets the specific needs of your organization. The following are a few reasons why our clients have chosen USC Viterbi School of Engineering as their program provider:
- Interest in connecting with USC experts for real organizational issues
- Engineering training and executive education opportunities in a condensed period of time
- Educational opportunities at multiple company sites through on-site training and/or distance offerings to several sites simultaneously
- Preference for providing Continuing Education Units (CEUs) rather than degree-oriented academic units
- Overall flexibility in timing, delivery and pricing
If you are interested in learning more, please contact us by email or at 213-740-4488