Fast Track Energy Projects: How to Build, Execute and Deliver
Our nation’s current focus toward power production, clean energy technologies, and infrastructure development is not a passing trend. Over the next 20 years, in fact, hundreds of billions of dollars will be invested and spent on new initiatives in these sectors. But getting them built in our highly competitive and complex society is never easy since they are fraught with risk: political, economic, environmental and construction, to name just a few.
This pragmatic short course provides a high-level overview to those organizations facing the challenge of getting energy-related projects built. It is particularly directed to public agencies, power-production companies, industry consultants, and attorneys who may have specialized expertise with energy technologies, but limited exposure to the dozens of other components that are essential to insuring successful project execution and delivery. Sessions will integrate the various issues that must be considered when entering into these vital but expensive projects, and will emphasize how to avoid unfavorable outcomes that often plague them, such as cost overruns, schedule delays, third-party meddling, heightened regulatory scrutiny, smeared reputations and – worst of all – bankruptcy.
- Course Topics
- Course Benefits
- Course Details (Audience, Instructor & CEUs)
- Custom Programs
- Request Information
What You Will Learn:
- The feasibility and permitting process
- The regulatory landscape and requirements
- Environmental impact statements, reports, and other constraints
- The integrated and iterative design process
- Construction management protocols and techniques
- Financing, funding, and cost controls
- Contract procurement
- Real estate issues
- Public relations and public policy considerations
- Tax and accounting implications
- Working with neighborhood and third-party groups
- Legal issues and challenges
What you will gain:
Upon completion of this course, participants will have a deeper grasp of those core issues that promote successful outcomes at their respective programs and projects: on-time delivery, for an expected price, and with optimal efficiency. They will also gain an appreciation of the complexity of issues as viewed by different, and sometimes competing, constituencies.
- Improved awareness of the key risks facing today’s energy programs and projects
- Avoidance of costly and time-consuming mistakes
- Efficient coordination and communication among project entities
- Improved deployment of staff resources
- Heightened project execution
- Better decision-making
Who should attend:
- Public agencies
- Power-production companies
- Industry consultants
Mr. Kalayjian is a licensed civil and structural engineer with diverse experience with development, design, and construction of power, commercial, industrial, municipal, residential, and transportation facilities. Formerly a project manager for the Central Artery/Tunnel Project (a.k.a. “The Big Dig”) in Boston, he is a Technical Expert for the State of California’s Department of Consumer Affairs. This program is an extension of his prior lectures on power generation through the University of Southern California’s Department of Electrical Engineering, for which he has assembled an expert team of panelists with first-hand familiarity and a pragmatic approach to the regulatory, real estate, public policy, finance, permitting, procurement, environmental, tax, legal, engineering, and construction challenges that energy projects present.
Continuing Education Units
CEUs: 1.1 (CEUs provided by request only)
USC Viterbi School of Engineering Certificate of Participation is awarded to all participants upon successful completion of course.
Why Consider a Custom Course for Your Organization?
Custom courses provide the opportunity to create an educational program that meets the specific needs of your organization. The following are a few reasons why our clients have chosen USC Viterbi School of Engineering as their program provider:
- Interest in connecting with USC experts for real organizational issues
- Engineering training and executive education opportunities in a condensed period of time
- Educational opportunities at multiple company sites through on-site training and/or distance offerings to several sites simultaneously
- Preference for providing Continuing Education Units (CEUs) rather than degree-oriented academic units
- Overall flexibility in timing, delivery and pricing
If you are interested in learning more, please contact us by email or at 213-740-4488
Want to Learn More?
Interested in providing a customized offering of this course to your organization?Learn More
June 02, 2018 to June 09, 2018
June 04, 2018 to December 08, 2018
June 05, 2018 to June 07, 2018
June 26, 2018 to June 28, 2018
October 15, 2018 to December 14, 2018