From Engineer to Manager
If you are transitioning from technical responsibility to managerial responsibility, this course is your opportunity to learn the skills you’ll need to manage effectively. Your new managerial role will require a new set of skills and knowledge in which engineers and scientists are typically not trained – managerial processes and leadership skills.
One set of skills centers on the best practice managerial processes. Research has shown that the most effective managers use and train their teams in systematic best practice processes. These managers add value by being “process owners.” Understanding this role improves your ability to identify, prioritize, and resolve barriers to your team’s performance, help to solve problems quickly, make critical decisions effectively, and protect your plans to assure implementation of your decisions and recommendations.
A second focus of the course addresses the leadership skills or “core content people skills” in which technical professionals are seldom trained. These leadership and teaming skills include understanding and applying these theories for effective leadership behaviors.
The course is aimed at increasing your awareness and skill level in motivating; using effective management styles and interpersonal and relationship building with your subordinates, peers, and supervisor; teaching/coaching/mentoring; goal setting; delegation; time management; team building; and personal growth.
- Course Topics
- Course Benefits
- Course Details (Audience, Instructor & CEUs)
- Custom Programs
- Request Information
What You Will Learn:
- Assessing and developing management style and interpersonal skills
- Creating an effective work environment
- Defining the engineering manager’s role
- Developing action plans
- Identifying problem areas
- Team management and supervisory skills
What you will gain:
Upon completion of this course, you will walk away with the following skills:
- Conduct more efficient and effective meetings
- Facilitate decision making under time pressure or with limited data
- Handle fast-changing technology issues
- Set realistic, measurable, and meaningful objectives
- Solve people performance problems more effectively
- Understand the role of the engineer as a manager
Who should attend:
- Engineers new to a managerial position
- Engineers preparing to make the transition to managerial roles
- Current managers wanting to hone leadership skills
Continuing Education Units
CEUs: 2.1 (CEUs provided by request only)
USC Viterbi School of Engineering Certificate of Participation is awarded to all participants upon successful completion of course.
Why Consider a Custom Course for Your Organization?
Custom courses provide the opportunity to create an educational program that meets the specific needs of your organization. The following are a few reasons why our clients have chosen USC Viterbi School of Engineering as their program provider:
- Interest in connecting with USC experts for real organizational issues
- Engineering training and executive education opportunities in a condensed period of time
- Educational opportunities at multiple company sites through on-site training and/or distance offerings to several sites simultaneously
- Preference for providing Continuing Education Units (CEUs) rather than degree-oriented academic units
- Overall flexibility in timing, delivery and pricing
If you are interested in learning more, please contact us by email or at 213-740-4488
Want to Learn More?
Interested in providing a customized offering of this course to your organization?Learn More
March 10, 2018 to March 17, 2018
March 13, 2018 to March 15, 2018
April 03, 2018 to April 05, 2018